Friday, February 26, 2016

Jerk or Hero? You Decide!

The other day I was texting a friend of mine. I was meaning to say she was my hero. I don't know if my fingers were flying too fast or if my smart phone went dumb, but somehow my phone came up with the word jerk in place of the word hero. Can you imagine doing something nice for someone,  and instead of receiving a thanks, you get called a jerk?

Thankfully I caught and corrected the mistake,  but sometimes I am not that fortunate.  In a flash,  I can say or do something I regret. This is a lesson God has been really trying to teach me. Unfortunately,  I am a very slow learner.

Though there is no autocorrect on our lips, God did provide a tool to help us.  The Bible offers countless scriptures on taming the tongue. I read through a bunch and every single one resonated with me. I know I am not the only one who struggles with keeping my mouth shut. I think that's why God included so many scriptures on this topic. He knew we needed all the help we could get.

So the next time something inappropriate gets ready to fly out of your mouth,  stop and think. Do you want to be a jerk or a hero? Words matter, so choose them wisely.

     Let your conversation be always full of
    grace, seasoned with salt, so that you 
     will know how to answer everyone.
                                                  ~Colossians 4:6




No comments:

Post a Comment