Saturday, June 17, 2017

The Journey Toward Graduation

It's very difficult for me to put words to a page as I sit here with tears streaming down my face. In a few short hours, my sweet, beautiful Kathryn will be waking across the stage of her high school auditorium and closing this chapter of her life. What a strange mix of emotions graduation is for the mama. My other mama friends, who walked this road ahead of me, warned me about how difficult this day would be. It's not that I didn't believe them, but like child birth, it's not really something you can fully understand until you live it for yourself. At the start of Kathryn's senior year, I had this overwhelming realization this was my last chance to be the mama. I needed to be sure I had taught her everything she needed to know. I realize I will always be the mama and will continue to teach her things, but in a few weeks she will be living on her own. My role as the mama will look very different. So I prayed and asked God to help me be sure Troy and I had done all we could to prepare her to enter the world on her own. Although I really meant, "make all my teaching opportunities happy and amazing," God had a different plan in mind! Kathryn had some crazy things happen to her this year, and most of the world doesn't even know about them. None of the things she experienced were earth-shattering, but most were things no 17 year old should have on their plate. While it was heartbreaking to watch her deal with some of the things thrown at her, it was also very beautiful. You see, that is how God answered my prayer. There were a few life experiences Kathryn needed to have before she left home. So God, in His infinite wisdom, provided her with some difficulty. But in His great love for her, He also surrounded her with the very best people to support her, love her, and give her wisdom. Kathryn has been blessed the past 17 years with amazing friends, and amazing adult role models. To the family, friends, church family, and teachers who have poured into her life, I say "thank you," because she wouldn't be where she is today without each of you. To Kathryn Grace I say, "Congratulations!" I couldn't be more proud of you. You have always been determined and courageous. It has been a joy to watch you grow. Continue to pursue your dreams with your whole heart. Whenever you find yourself in a difficult situation, search out the people God has placed in your path, and walk humbly with God by your side. As Grammy used to tell you, "Your Mama is your very best friend!" So as you stand on that stage today and deliver your valedictorian speech, know I am sitting in the audience (maybe crying a smidge) cheering for you. Treasure the moments as you walk across the stage to receive your diploma, for that walk symbolizes walking away from your past and into your future. God has great things in store for you, and you are ready. Fly high my sweet girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment